Wednesday, March 23, 2011

WOW blogs and why we need another ...

I have had an itch to begin blogging about my in-game experience in World of Warcraft for a while now. Various heated discussions have ended in a meaningful conclusions and ought to be saved for posterity, or at least somewhere I can refer to them again. So much easier when wearing out the same argument for the umpteenth time to have notes from the previous iterations.

I started playing WOW as a result of Blizzard's recruit-a-friend campaign, and my brother's prolonged insistence. One day he showed up with a computer and said that my account was paid for for the next couple of months. He said he wanted to level some Alts, whatever those were.

Initially we set our cell-phones on speaker, logged in together and discussed the game endlessly while we played. I had a lot more questions than he had answers, but it passed the time. Honestly the leveling process bored me to tears. Since I had someone to talk to, someone whom handily had a solid handle on the leveling process, as well as the layout of the rather extensive world, I didn't get bored and find something else to do in those early weeks. His paladin and my rogue traveled and leveled extensively, having a goal of "4 levels a night" which we not only most often met, but managed to do a few other odds and ends while we were at it.

Our second set of "toons" set the stage for my obsession. He was playing a warlock, and I was trying out a warrior. Unlike the previous rogue/paladin combination, we now had no inbuilt healing and progress were often halted to recover health. He took up first-aid and I cooking, and we died ... a lot. A sad situation wherein while I took much smaller amounts of damage due to superior armor, he drew much more ire, especially at range, we'd get a few extra monsters, and he'd promptly die and I would die eventually but much more slowly. We'd be several minutes returning to our bodies, eating and bandaging. Invariably we discussed how if we could just get them to attack me, while they were slowly tearing me apart, he could stand back and pick them off. The trick being, to get them to keep attacking me, even when he was doing the Lion's Share of the damage.

This is how I discovered my passion for being a tank.

No comments:

Post a Comment